Menu / Navigate
The Law Offices of Oliver R. Gutierrez
Se Habla EspaƱol - Free Initial Consultation

April 2020 Archives

Dividing real estate can be tough, but good support helps

You and your spouse have been together for around 10 years. During that time, you focused on buying homes and turning them into rental properties. Today, you have seven homes in your real estate portfolio. You earn a few thousand dollars each month from the renters who live there.

A post-divorce modification could help you modify your decree

When you seek a post-judgment modification, you're asking the court to modify the final judgment previously made. For instance, if you have a child custody arrangement in place that doesn't work any longer, you may ask the court to modify that arrangement. If you have a property division settlement agreement that you want to have altered, you can ask for that as well.

Do you have to follow community property rules?

California is a community property state. What that means is that the court expects both parties to leave the marriage with half of their marital assets (or half the value of those assets). The idea behind community property laws is that those who are married should be sharing their marital assets if they divorce. No person should be above the other, and splitting the assets collected during marriage keeps things fair.

Does divorce have you concerned about real estate and retirement?

The decision to divorce was likely not one you came to lightly. You may not have even made the decision yourself but learned that your spouse wanted to end the marriage. Whatever the case, your mind has likely been reeling as you think about how this major change could affect your future.


The Law Offices of Oliver R. Gutierrez
600 Allerton St., Suite 200
Redwood City, CA 94063

Phone: 650-399-0962
Redwood City Law Office Map

Back to Top